Tuesday, August 26, 2008

We found our camera!

Here are a few pictures of the beautiful Vandy campus!



This is the main building, where the Classics department is.



This is moss on my building - I'm just amazed that I live somewhere where moss exists!



A typical path. The campus is technically considered an arboretum!



The first thing I saw on campus - Mr. Vandy himself.

So I have had my first two days of classes - a very interesting experience. I am taking two graduate seminars. One is on epyllia (literally "little epics") and the other on Greek historians. I am also taking History of the Roman Republic and Ancient Origins of Religious Conflict. For the time being I am also sitting in on a Horace (Latin Poet), but I can only take four classes, and I can't decide whether to drop one of the classes to take this class (which I really really want to take!). So far I have liked my professors, especially the two teaching the seminars. One, Dr. Wikkiser, just came from the school where my mentor Dr. Easton is teaching now. :) I don't know much about the other, Dr. Petrain, but he blew me away with incredible knowledge in the first session, and he clearly is a very good teacher.

One of the great things about this campus is that the Classics grad students have their own seminar room. It's just a room, full of almost every conceivable Classics first and secondary source we could wish for, and it's just for us. In fact, it's always locked, and we actually get into it with keys! That made me feel very, very special. Thus far the other students still seem shy and distant - I don't know if they are all just still out of sorts in their new environment, although Classicists are notoriously bad at all things social. We shall see.

Daniel starts class tomorrow. He was able to get into classes that will count toward his major: Pre-Calc and The Old Testament. His program requires many Gen Ed courses, of which these are two. I think it's probably a good thing he will be taking the OT class, while I am taking this Religious Conflicts class. I think we'll be able to talk about it and offer each other good information back and forth. And he will be approaching it from an academically Christian perspective, while I am being taught by a non-Christian.

So, things are back to normal for me - I am constantly in a text, spending my time doing nothing but translating, and I love it! Daniel is still working through issues with school in terms of getting an internship - the way it works is that he has to be enrolled in an internship class before he can apply to most studios. As they are unpaid, legally it needs to be for college credit.

Otherwise, all is well here. The last two days have been rainy and overcast. It's been wonderful! We miss you all very much.

No comments: