Saturday, November 8, 2008

Miscellany

I sit here waiting in a dirty house for Daniel to get home . . . There was a time when I was the kind of wife that cleaned while her husband was away at work on Saturdays, delighting in taking care of the home for him. Alas, that wife is gone, and here (to stay probably) is the wife that HATES to clean alone. And what is more, she hates cleaning the bathroom most of all! So I have learned that I clean better and faster when Daniel is there to keep me company, and I'm much more cheery about cleaning the rest of the house if he takes care of the bathroom. I love marriage! :)

I have been reading many posts about the election, in addition to discussing it with friends and other family members. What an interesting jumble of thoughts and feelings! I confess I did not vote this year, for which I feel extreme guilt. But a part of me knows that even if I had, the minute I reached the poll I would have frozen. I chuckled when I read Rachel's comment - the conflict between "European tendencies" and personal convictions! But all I can say is that even if I didn't vote and hadn't a clue who I felt best fitted for the job, I prayed very, very hard for the outcome of Election Day, and I'm confident that the Lord heard those prayers. He is faithful.

Interesting side note - has anyone ever read any A.S. Byatt? I've been reading several books by her lately, and wondered if anyone else had. I am amazed and delighted by how talented she is - her prose is beautiful, and her stories are absolutely flawlessly crafted, in my opinion. But she discusses religion (in very specific Judeo-Christian terms), always from a negative and a positive side in her novels. She never really comes down on one side or the other, it seems. It's as if the agnostic character is praised for intellectual capacity and the Christian is praised for tenacious and genuine faith. One gets an edge on the other, then the other has the upper hand, and you are left wondering what in the world she personally believes! But all this to say, she has some beautiful passages describing a more difficult, tortured faith (which I'm sure most of us have experienced at some point or another), and I have appreciated them.

Oh, and Daniel and I have been enjoying fall very much. It's cold, it's cloudy, the Nashville skyline is a mess of red and yellow trees, all dropping their leaves everywhere! We have yet to jump in a pile of leaves (something I don't think I have ever done), but I'm sure that will happen soon. We enjoyed the morning by going to Cheekwood Botanical gardens, and enjoyed walking the grounds. It's absolutely beautiful, and we discovered an entire section I was totally unaware of. They have a Japanese garden, which is quite lovely, and is Daniel's favorite part, I think. When we left he said, and I quote, "Being in a place like that makes me want to be Sherlock Holmes. Or at least, be in 18th century clothing like Sherlock Holmes, wrapped up in a flannel blanked. Smoking a pipe. Or, just being outside wearing anything smoking a pipe. Yeah, it's just the pipe I want." :) This after spending the previous evening watching Sherlock Holmes episodes. Now, mind you, we have not seen the famous Russian version of Sherlock Holmes which is supposed to be the best rendition ever - but until we see that and pass judgement on it, Jeremy Brett is the best Sherlock Holmes of all times. Although I suppose I might have been a bit too zealous in praising him lately, because Daniel told me he had a dream a few nights ago that I was cheating on him with Mr. Brett. :)

No comments: